I've used FB for years with ISO8859_1 charset and collation.
Now I designing a new DB for a big app update in FB3 and wonder about this charset and collation.
For test purposes I am using UTF8 and UNICODE_AI_CI and I like that I can now don't have to worry about casing comparisons nor accents or other special characters.
In fact though, all the data in will be in the regular english-us alphabet with maybe a little in spanish for things like "japapeño", but still all single byte chars.
From what I read, only one byte is used for storing these characters, so the same amount of space would be used as compared to ISO8859_1.
What I am wondering before I get too far along, is there any downside to using UTF8 and UNICODE_AI_CI?
Regards,
Rick
__._,_.___
Posted by: rick@seedsbydesign.com
| Reply via web post | • | Reply to sender | • | Reply to group | • | Start a New Topic | • | Messages in this topic (1) |
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Documentation item
on the main (top) menu. Try FAQ and other links from the left-side menu there.
Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Documentation item
on the main (top) menu. Try FAQ and other links from the left-side menu there.
Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.
__,_._,___
No comments:
Post a Comment